All India Network Research Project on Onion and Garlic (AINRPOG):
ICAR approved All Indian Network Research Project on Onion and Garlic during XI Plan. Directorate of Onion and Garlic Research is the co-ordinating centre for this. Through 10 main centres ,13 voluntary centres and 2 Co-operating centers, it covers all important and potential onion and garlic growing states. The centres started functioning during 2009-10. Its objective is to identify location specific research needs and validate varieties and technologies developed by various institutes for their suitability to specific regions. The mandate of AINRPOG is focused on the following:
1. To collect, evaluate and conserve the Allium biodiversity existing in different agro-climatic zones of the country.
2. To develop improved varieties and hybrids resistant to biotic and abiotic stresses through multi-locational testing of onion and garlic in different zones.
3. To develop and validate technologies for higher bulb production, seed production, plant protection and post-harvest handling and storage
4. To provide scientific leadership in network research for solving location specific problems of production and to monitor breeder seed production of released/notified varieties
5. To provide training support to the onion and garlic farmers in respective zones.